Otaki to North Levin Expressway

 


Minutes of a special meeting

  held at the Manakau Hall

           on Tuesday 11 July 2017 at 7.00

Possible Otaki to North of Levin Expressway

Present:   Sam Jennings, Greg Gilpin, Guy Brown, Caroline Leslie, Judy Bolton, Kimbal McHugo, Tom Frewen, Peter Jenkins, Linda James, Adam Tulloch, Sarah Hodge, Pauline Masters.

Apologies: Mellissa (Molly) Gibson

In attendance:  Daniel Haigh - Growth Response Project Manager for the Horowhenua District Council (HDC).

Sam Jennings opened the meeting with a report on his conversation with David Clapperton, Chief Executive of HDC and the responses to emails regarding the Otaki to North Levin (O2NL) project, copies of the emails had been circulated prior to the meeting. David Clapperton advised that Daniel Hague, Growth Response Manager, would be the HDC contact on the project and welcomed Daniel to this special meeting.

Sam spoke of the options that had been around for about six years and the latest being the 5A option that has been scrapped and the nature of the project has been shifted and it is back to the drawing board.  

The Submission to NZTA by HDC, which was circulated prior to the meeting, was discussed and Daniel was able answer questions raised. He reiterated that HDC only knows the same as the rest of the community about the possible route. Daniel advised that he was the council representative on the Project Reference Group (PRG) and suggested that it would be advantageous for Manakau to be represented at these group meeting as it was a place to be heard and to meet others with interest in the project.

Daniel spoke of the NZTA timetable of two or three options to be circulated September/October and the preferred option to be tabled to the NZTA Board in February/March. Daniel also acknowledged that the uncertainty at the moment is unsettling for everyone.

Kimbal McHugo advised that John Hailwood from the Manakau District Community Association (MDCA) had attended a meeting of the Project Reference Group and NZTA, and that no one had attended  the second meeting.

It was discussed that there needs to be a collective view of everyone in the Manakau District, and that there needs to be an appointed representative to attend the PRG meetings which will be held from time to time so the group understands what’s happening, which can be circulated.

Daniel advised that he is happy to attend meetings with the group and people can communicate with him.

Sam thanked Daniel for attending the meeting and he departed at approximately 8pm.

Group Name and Purpose:

There was a discussion on the name for the group and agreement was reached to be the “ MDCA – O2NL Sub Committee.”

Sam spoke on what the objectives and purpose of this group would be:-

It was proposed that one of the members of the subcommittee be appointed to the Project Reference Group (PRG) which includes representative from NZTA, HDC and other interested parties.

Receive information from the stakeholders and share with the residents of Manakau.

MDCA – O2NL Sub Committee be recognised by NZTA and HDC as a strong voice as “We aggregate the views of the Community.”

Liaise with other similar groups in the Horowhenua District either through being a member of the PRG or if the HDC arrange a meeting of these groups.

Sam Jennings had provided a draft TERMS OF REFERENCE to be discussed at the next meeting.

Election of Officers

Chairperson:      Sam Jennings (n) Kimbal McHugo, (s) Sarah Hodge, accepted

Secretary:           Linda James (n) Sam Jennings, (s) Judy Bolton, accepted

Rep on PRG:       Guy Brown (n) Pauline Masters, (s) Greg Gilpin, accepted

Deputy Chair:    Guy Brown (n) Pauline Masters, (s) Greg Gilpin, accepted

General:

Kimbal mentioned we need to be thinking of the HDC Long Term 10 Year Plan and have input of what the residents want for Manakau in the future.

It was agreed that Sam do a submission to the NZTA. Sam is to provide a draft for comment by Thursday and all comments back to Sam by noon on Saturday as submissions officially closed on Friday, 14 July 2017 with NZTA to start work on all of the submission Monday 17 July 2017.

Correspondence:

“Able to make decisions and action on emails” (n) Sam Jennings, (s) Kimbal McHugo, accepted

There being no further business:

Meeting Closed at 8.55pm

Next Meeting to be held on 25 July 2017 at 7.00 to be held in the Manakau Hall 

Chairperson ……………………………………………………………….Date      


Minutes of a meeting

held at the Manakau Hall

on Tuesday 25 July 2017 at 7.10

MDCA – O2NL Sub Committee

Present:   Sam Jennings (Chairman), Carolyn Leslie, Judy Bolton, Kimbal McHugo, Peter Jenkins, Linda James(Secretary), Adam Tulloch, Sarah Hodge, Mellissa (Molly) Gibson

1.       Apologies: Guy Brown, Tom Frewen, Pauline Masters

2.       Minutes of the meeting held 11 July 2017:

The minutes of the meeting held 11 July 2017 and distributed prior to the meeting were confirmed as correct with the exception of the Election of Officers- Representative on Project Reference Group (PRG).

Election of Officers

Chairperson:      Sam Jennings (n) Kimbal McHugo, (s) Sarah Hodge, accepted

Secretary:           Linda James (n) Sam Jennings, (s) Judy Bolton, accepted

Rep on PRG:       Chairperson Sam Jennings with the Deputy Chair Guy Brown to attend if the Chairperson not available (n) Pauline Masters, (s) Greg Gilpin, accepted

Deputy Chair:    Guy Brown (n) Pauline Masters, (s) Greg Gilpin, accepted

Resolved:  that the minutes be signed by the Chairman noting the changes made to the election of Officers.

(n) Judy Bolton (s) Kimbal McHugo

3.       Terms of Reference:

Sam Jennings distributed a draft Terms of Reference just prior to the meeting.

Sam read the draft and it was generally agreed that the:

Purpose, Role of the group, Membership, Roles of the elected officers, Duration of membership and meetings covered the intended outcomes for the subcommittee.

It was discussed and agreed that the Terms of Reference when completed and adopted by the committee and the Submission letters should be on the MCDA website.

It was discussed if at least two people attend the PRG with at least one of these being the Chairman or Deputy Chairman.

Resolved:  that the final version of the Term of Reference be circulated by email and members of the subcommittee to agree to adopt by email.

4.       Where to from here:

Sam advised that he had received a personal acknowledgement that NZTA had received the submission letter but no substantive reply regarding the attendance to the PRG meetings.

Judy Bolton circulated at the meeting her thoughts on a flyer to be distributed to every letterbox in the Manakau area.

Discussion took place on the content of the flyer and it was agreed that the circulated draft covered most points as the flyer is to engage with the community, encourage comments and feedback and to keep the momentum going. Judy is distributing a further draft for comment and approval. Mellissa (Molly) Gibson to look at setting up a generic email address for all comments to be addressed

Carolyn Leslie would like to see the MCDA reduce the membership fee to encourage more of the residents to join. The fee is currently $15 per year per household, discussion took place and it was agreed that Kimbal would take the question back to the MCDA Committee.

Carolyn Leslie and Adam Tulloch to liaise regarding the NZTA map showing Maori Land and compare with the Maori Land Court information and report back to the next meeting.

The MCDA website is to be updated with all new information when it is received and any notice boards around the district to include the information also. The Manakau School newsletter is another way to circulate information.

Carolyn is to explore setting up a Facebook site so Manakau residents and surrounding areas can express their views and concerns. This site would have no comments made by the MDCA – O2NL subcommittee. Carolyn is to circulate proposed wording for comment and approval by email before activating.

5.       General Business:

(a)    Proposed  that the minutes of these meeting to be added to the MCDA website

(n) Sam Jennings (s) Sarah Hodge

(b)   Sam and Molly are to explore the capabilities of the MCDA website and if need be an approach could be made to the Horowhenua District Council (HDC) for funds to upgrade the site.

(c)    The Horowhenua District current 10 year Plan should be discussed by both this subcommittee and the MCDA committee. The suggestion was made to invite David Clapperton, CEO of the HDC, to our meeting.Future meetings could involve councillors if the committee thought this would be advantage


 (d)   The committee would like to see benefits to the community to be explored, such as sub-Contractors and the purchase of plants to be sourced locally.

 There being no further business:

Meeting Closed at 8.30pm

Next Meeting to be held on 22 August 2017 at 7.00 to be held in the Manakau Hall 

Chairperson ……………………………………………………………….Date  


Minutes of a special meeting

held at the Manakau Hall  

on Thursday 10 August 2017 at 7.08

MDCA – O2NL Sub Committee

Present:   Sam Jennings, Carolyn Leslie, Judy Bolton, Kimbal McHugo, Linda James, Adam Tulloch, Sarah Hodge, Mellissa (Molly) Gibson, Guy Brown, Tom Frewen and Greg Gilpin

1.       Apologies:  Pauline Masters

2.       Email from Sam Jennings received 8 August 2017: 

Sam Jennings had advised by email that he has made the decision, after discussion with his family, to stand as an independent candidate in the coming elections for Otaki.

Sam advised that he is happy to continue in his current role with the group, and his email was to give the group a chance to have their views on this and to put candidates forward for the Chairman’s role if necessary.

Guy Brown started the discussion with the comment that he saw no problem with Sam continuing in his current position. Discussion around the table could see no conflict of interest, and could declare one if need be, and that the elections will be over long before we see any final plans for the expressway.

Concerns were raised that Sam would need to have no bias when representing MDCA – O2NL Sub Committee.

It was agreed that Sam Jennings would continue as Chairman of the Sub Committee

(n) Sarah Hodge (s) Guy Brown

3.       Meetings of the Project Reference Group:

Since the last ordinary meeting of the subcommittee the Manakau Community District Association (MCDA) secretary has been advised of the next Project Reference Group (PRG) meeting and two workshops. At the last subcommittee meeting held 25 July it was discussed that at least two people should attend these meetings, with at least one of these being the Chairman or Deputy Chairman.

Discussion took place on whether the invitation to attend these meetings and workshop extends to two representatives. It was agreed that Sam would reply to NZTA advising that two representatives would attend the meeting to be held 17 August 2017.

Sam Jennings and Guy Brown to attend the meeting of the PRG on 17 August 2017

At the meeting on 17 August Sam is to ask if we can have two representatives at the upcoming workshops on 22 and 29 August, as Guy would not be available for the workshops Sarah Hodge maybe the representative to attend with Sam.

4.       Other Business:

(a)    Flyer:

Judy Bolton has circulated by email a draft Flyer to be distributed to every letterbox in the Manakau area for consideration.

Judy asked about the generic email address for the flyer as she had received the MCDA email address to include, and was of the understanding that this would be separate.  Molly is to confirm with the MDCA secretary that this email address can be used at present and will be looked at a later stage if it is deemed necessary.

Linda James requested that her name be removed from the Flyer as she is not always available to take calls it was discussed that the email address for the MDCA be added.

As some members of the group haven’t had a chance to read the draft Flyer it was agreed that everyone should get back to Judy by the end of the weekend with comments. It was agreed to put the MCDA membership application form on the back of the flyer which included the bank account.

Sam and Judy are to discuss printing of the flyers.

Discussion took place on reporting to this group within a short time after the PGR meetings. The discussion then turned to reporting to the wider community and how the minutes of the PGR meeting could be confidential and unable to be circulated outside the subcommittee. Adam suggested that Sam would ask NZTA at the meeting that they produce something that can be distributed.

It was discussed that the list of email address from the meeting held on 2 July 2017 needs to be completed as soon as possible.

(b)   Face Book:

Sam declared he was happy with the wording circulated by Carolyn Leslie for the proposed face book discussion group. Sarah asked if Carolyn was going to moderate if required. Most of the subcommittee are not face book users but are happy to leave to Carolyn to manage.

(c)    NZTA letters to the East of Levin:

Sam advised that he has heard that some residents in Kimberley Road and Mcleavey Raod have received letters from NZTA. He has also been told that the meeting held after the one in Manakau on 2 July 2017 that were told that NZTA had three preferred routes and they are all east of Levin.

Is this a breach of NZTA telling our meeting hand on heart that they will be transparent?  Others in the group had also heard of these letters being received and it was discussed that they could be for access points to Levin, there may be nothing in it. Guy mentioned that just because the expressway may go East of Levin doesn’t mean it will go East of Manakau. Sam asked if we should ask NZTA about the letters and it was agreed to do so.

(d)   NZTA Board Meetings:

Tom Frewen had requested under the Official Information Act the minutes of the NZTA Board Meeting which was held on11 December 2015 and 2 March 2017 that relate to the Otaki to North Levin section of the Wellington Northern Corridor  and he circulated to the group on 4 August 2017.

It was agreed that Tom would ask for the minutes of the NZTA latest meeting under the Official Information Act.

(d) NZTA Map versus Maori Land Court Information:

Adam Tulloch advised that he had compared the information and there are only small variations between the plans.

(e)   Driscoll Park:

Sarah Hodge advised that work is about to start on Driscoll Park and if any residents of the Manakau Village have any concerns she is available to visit them and go over the project with them on a one to one bases.

There being no further business:  

Meeting Closed at approximately 8.20pm

Next ordinary Meeting to be held on 30 August 2017 at 7.00 to be held in the Manakau Hall 

Chairperson ……………………………………………………………….Date       


Minutes of a special meeting

 held at the Manakau Hall

 on Thursday 24 August 2017 at 7.05

MDCA – O2NL Sub Committee

Present:   Sam Jennings(Chairman), Carolyn Leslie, Judy Bolton, Kimbal McHugo, Linda James(Secretary), Adam Tulloch, Sarah Hodge, Mellissa (Molly) Gibson, Guy Brown, Tom Frewen and Greg Gilpin

1.       Apologies:  Pauline Masters

 2.       Email from Sam Jennings received 23 August 2017:

Sam Jennings advised by email that he would like an urgent meeting to hear a report from Guy Brown and Sarah Hodge on the workshop held 22 August 2017.

Sam reported that he had attended the Project Reference Group (PRG) on 17 August 2017 and circulated a report on 20 August 2017.

Sam also confirmed that he had disqualified himself from the workshop and Sarah went in his place.

3.       Report on the Workshop held 22 August 2017

Guy was speaking on behalf of him and Sarah and indicated that he felt it was too early to meet and discuss as everything was tentative.

It was discussed, if what was shown,  and said at the workshop was confidential, Guy indicated that they were advised that they could share with their groups but it was not available to the public at this time. This appears to be contrary to an email received by Sarah from Martyn Johnson who had spoken to Hannah at NZTA who said nothing was confidential and maps were available with lines on (copy of the email on file).

Guy shared some copies of the maps and criteria that each of these four northern corridors, and seven southern corridors, would be rated on at the next workshop to be held on 29 August 2017. Guy indicated that at the meeting on 29 August, there will be some of these corridors rejected due to flaws, constraints and not meeting the criteria. A new map will be produced.  Information has been received from outside sources to the group.

Sarah noted that there are holes in the 17 pages of constraints and that these should be layered over the maps to give a true picture.

Guy will have it noted at the next workshop, that he distributed the map and criteria to the subcommittee, and advised the group that the information is not available to the public. After discussion it was agreed due to the email from Martyn Johnson that information had been received from other sources and that if anyone is asked they will give the information requested.

Discussion took place on why the workshop group should have the right to make these decisions, that the process is flawed and some of those participating at the workshops are self-agenda people, and it has been noted that most of the discussion at the workshop centres on Levin. It was discussed that what is decided for Levin will have a big impact on the decision of the southern corridor. It was also discussed that there isn’t time to get the feeling of the community before the next workshop and who will make the final decision.  It was agreed that this would be NZTA with them saying that they had consulted with the community.

It was agreed that a lot of pressure is being put on our representatives that attend the workshops, Sam is to contact NZTA to enquire if a third representative could attend the workshop on 29 August.

It was agreed that Sam would write to NZTA with our concerns with the process, and the lack of time to consult, and questions on the rating of the corridors, as all of this has a big impact on people’s lives and businesses.

Tom Frewen passed a motion that Manakau District Community Association (MDCA) call a public meeting. (s) Caroline Leslie

It was discussed that with the next workshop only a few days away, that a date and time for the public meeting would be agreed at the ordinary meeting of the subcommittee on 30 August.

The meeting turned to the Criteria and it was discussed on how these were to be rated, and the fact that each corridor may have different criteria applied. It was noted that some criteria appeared to be missed off the list such as noise, Sarah said that no noise person attended the workshop. After some considerable discussion it was agreed that those who could would stay behind after the meeting to discuss.  A get together will be arranged before the workshop on Tuesday to compare the views of the group.

 There being no further business:

Meeting Closed at approximately 8.40pm

Next ordinary Meeting to be held on 30 August 2017 at 7.00 to be held in the Manakau Hall 

Chairperson ……………………………………………………………….Date      


Minutes of a special meeting

held at Jennings Farm 

on Monday 28 August 2017 at 7.05

MDCA – O2NL Sub Committee

Present:   Sam Jennings, Carolyn Leslie, Judy Bolton, Kimbal McHugo, Linda James, Adam Tulloch, Mellissa (Molly) Gibson,  Greg Gilpin and Sarah Hodge (by telephone

1.       Apologies:  Pauline Masters, Tom Frewen, Guy Brown, Sarah Hodge

 2.       Criteria:

This meeting has been called to discuss the groups rating of criteria before the workshop to be held on Tuesday 29 August 2017.

Sam circulated an email for the Arapaepae Road residents who have concerns regarding the process and also ask why there aren’t more options to the west.

Sarah Hodge has been held up in Auckland and won’t be available to attend the work shop, Sam Jennings will contact Lonnie at NZTA to arrange as discussed at the last meeting, for Adam Tulloch to attend, and Guy Brown will be contacted to confirm his attendance.

Discussion took place on the process and the fatal flaws not being identified. Should we show our displeasure, we may need to offer solutions. The question was asked as to what is the reason for not going further west and the general feeling is the soil conditions. It was discussed that the conditions for Transmission Gully and sections of the Kapiti Expressway would be similar.

Sam advised that he had contacted Lonnie to ask for more information.  Sam was advised that the information was either not available or too sensitive to be given out.

Judy Bolton had spent some time over the weekend reviewing all the information received to date and felt that NZTA have not set goals on what they hope to achieve. Discussion took place on working together to identify obstacles and meeting with the community, that there hasn’t been any indication as to what is to happen north of Levin as this will impact on NZTA decision.

Caroline Leslie and Kimbal McHugo had shared their rankings of the criteria by email and these were included in an excel sheet that was circulated among the committee member attending the meeting to add their rankings.

The conclusion was that we all had similar ranking and these will be used by the members attending the workshop to assist the assignment of the weights and to have it noted that we need to participate in the process but make it known that we don’t like the process.

Sarah joined the meeting by phone and spoke of the weighting of the criteria, that the process is flawed and that the fatal flaws for the corridors will be decided at the workshop. Sarah also mentioned that some of those attending the workshop from other areas are thinking of themselves not the whole community.

Attendance at the workshop was discussed and Sarah offered that her partner Wayne could attend in her absence as he has read all the material that has been made available.

After Sarah left the meeting it was discussed if Wayne could attend in Sarah absence and it was agreed that Sam include him in his correspondence to NZTA.

After lengthy discussion it was agreed that Sam would write a statement that could be read out at the workshop that would cover the concerns of the group and include ranking of the criteria, the process and the short time between workshops that doesn’t allow for consultation with the community. It should also include the groups thoughts on corridor options and raise the issue that our representatives are not elected and and don’t have the right to express views on behalf of the whole community.

 3.       Next Meeting:

It was agreed to postpone the planned meeting for 30 August 2017, due to some key people not being available. Will make arrangements for a meeting  the following week.

There being no further business:

Meeting Closed at approximately 8.45pm

Next ordinary Meeting to be advised 

Chairperson ……………………………………………………………….Date      


« prev  |   top  |   next »

Powered by CMSimple | Template by CMSimple | Login